A high added-sugar intake helps to create sugar-addicts, obesity and diabetes. A high-sugar diet is linked to osteoporosis, arthritis, IBS, bowel disease, digestive disorders, depression, alcoholism, diabetes, mental illness, cancer and heart disease. Added sugar is essentially food enemy #1 for human health. Sugar even damages your genetic structure, causing negative changes to your genes that can last up to 14 days. Sugar dramatically ages your skin as it destroys collagen. It makes your skin stiff, old and inflexible via glycation. Too much sugar → excessive insulin → low blood sugar → “I’M STARVING!” → crave sweet fatty sugary foods → addiction → fatty sick liver and pancreas → weight-gain → diabetes → malnutrition → inflammation → heart disease → cancer.
How does this happen?
Here are some typical servings of foods and their sugar contents: a flavoured water drink = 4 teaspoons of added sugar; an energy drink = 6, flavoured milk = 7, a can of cola = 10, sports drink = 11, a large iced coffee = 11, one glass of sweetened fruit juice = 11, and a large soft drink = 27-54.
Kick the Sugar in 5 Simple Steps
- EAT FRUIT. Eat whole fruit as your sugar intake as it is naturally sweetened, contains all the cancer-fighting super-nutrition, and both soluble/insoluble fibres to clear the liver and bowels. It is nearly impossible to eat too much whole fruit as it is packed with a high-fibre content meaning you get full fairly quickly. One apple has a very small amount of sugar compared to most sugary foods.
- PREPARE. Prepare your own sweet treats (make Tracey’s delicious high-fibre recipe treats).
- REMOVE. Remove the foods with added processed sugar from your diet.
- REPLACE. If you sweeten things, then improve the quality of your sweeteners (moving from white or processed sugar to better alternatives such as stevia, xylitol, raw honey, rice malt, molasses, maple syrup, dextrose, coconut sugar, etc).
- MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, EAT LESS SUGAR OVERALL. Lower the overall intake of sweetened foods you eat.
GOLDEN Rule 1: Be Prepared and Control your Environment
GOLDEN Rule 4: Give up what Weakens You
GOLDEN Rule 5: Read Ingredients Panels (RIP) or Rest in Peace
GOLDEN Rule 7: Eat a Local, Seasonal, Balanced, Plant-Based Wholefood Diet
Jason wishes to deeply thank, acknowledge and recognise the effort and contribution that the PIF Foundation has provided on a voluntary basis since 2014, as we educated, motivated and inspired change that helps transform the health, vitality and longevity of people all over the world.