You may have heard me say before that quinoa is, quite simply, an outstanding food and here is just another way that it shows its versatility. This is a delicious breakfast option; and it is a good one to alternate with Jason’s soaked muesli and some hearty porridge. And let’s not forget occasionally, on weekends, some buckwheat pancakes!
All JasonShonBennett.com recipes are made from 100% plant-based wholefoods. All are animal-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan. They are also gluten-free (except for the occasional recipes containing jumbo rolled oats).
½ cup of red quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
½ cup soy milk or other milk substitute
¾ cup water
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
4 Tbsp home-ground LSA – nuts and seeds**
2 Tbsp desiccated coconut
1 – 2 Tbsp quality maple syrup
2 Tbsp flaxseed oil (optional)
a handful of goji berries, soaked overnight
Or a handful of dried cranberries
1 large banana, sliced
2 tbsp sliced almonds
** can be a combination of linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds (ground fresh is best)
1. Place the quinoa, milk, water and vanilla to a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and then simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed and the quinoa has sprouted ‘little ears’ and is just ‘al dente’ to bite. Turn off the heat, place on the lid on and let sit for 3-5 mins to allow it to steam and finish cooking.
3. Once done, fluff it up with a fork and while doing so, stir in the LSA, coconut, maple syrup and flaxseed oil. Mix together thoroughly.
4. Serve into bowls and top with the chosen berries, sliced banana and sliced almonds.
5. Eat immediately and top with a splash more of soy (or chosen) milk if desired.