Autumn and Winter days just scream for hats, gloves, snuggly coats and soup! Soups are perfect for an easy dinner, a nice weekend lunch and for the kids (or us) and to take to school or work the next day in a thermos for lunch! This one is a beauty – the humble carrot comes alive when infused with Moroccan spices and the result is a rich, sweet, aromatic soup with a beautiful colour!
All JasonShonBennett.com recipes are made from 100% plant-based wholefoods. All are animal-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan. They are also gluten-free (except for the occasional recipes containing jumbo rolled oats).
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 heaped tsp coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 700g carrots, cut in chunks
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp quality mineral-rich salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup hot water mixed with 4 tsp quality Veg Stock
1. Use a dry frying pan to toast the sesame seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds until golden and aromatic – keep and eye on them so they don’t burn.
2. Use your coffee grinder or mini food processor (or you can use a mortar and pestle) to grind these with the smoked paprika into a powder.
3. Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion. Sauté the onion until clear and soft
4. Add the garlic, carrots and just prepared spice mix. Stir to coat for a few more minutes.
5. Add the vinegar to this mix and let it bubble away before adding the salt and 5 cups of water and one of stock. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
6. Allow the soup to cool with the lid off for 5 -10 minutes.
7. Blend in two batches until lovely and smooth.
8. Return to the pot, check the seasoning and gently heat before serving.