Tacos wont be new to many of us but you may need a reminder that they make for a great ‘build-your-own’ style family meal and below is a great recipe for your own home made Mexican Beans to fill them with. Simple, yet delicious! For this dish, you can use pinto, kidney, black, cannelini or red kidney beans. I am partial to cannelini or pinto!
All JasonShonBennett.com recipes are made from 100% plant-based wholefoods. All are animal-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan. They are also gluten-free (except for the occasional recipes containing jumbo rolled oats).
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- I onion, diced
- 2 – 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ red capsicum , deseeded and chopped
- 2 Cups cooked beans of your choice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne or chili flakes (more or less)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1tin chopped tomatoes (or equivalent fresh, or passata)
- 1 heaped Tbsp tomato paste
- Added water as needed
- Stacks of fresh, rough chopped coriander (1/2 – 1 cup)
- Organic corn taco shells or corn chips for serving
1. Heat oil in large frying pan or saucepan and add onion and sauté for several minutes until it starts to soften.
2. Add garlic and capsicum and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes more.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and gently combine.
4. Bring to a boil and turn heat down low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 – 30 mins adding extra small amounts of water if needed to stop from sticking.
5. Stir in loads of fresh coriander before serving.
6. Heat organic taco shells in the oven until just crisps and warm.
7. Serve with the hot beans and many small plates of accompaniments for everyone to build their own yummy creations. E.g. grated carrot, shredded lettuce, mashed avocado, red onion, diced tomato, chopped cucumber, cashew cream! Put beans into the bottom and add the rest on top. Plan for two or three filled tacos each.