The question is – do you call them courgettes… or zucchini, courgettes… or zucchini? Either way, if you have a garden, chances are you have some harvesting in the summer months or they are in abundance and fairly cheap in your local grocer. This recipe is something delish you can do with them whilst in abundance. These are delectable!
All JasonShonBennett.com recipes are made from 100% plant-based wholefoods. All are animal-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan. They are also gluten-free (except for the occasional recipes containing jumbo rolled oats).
1 tin of organic whole kernel corn, drained or equivalent fresh off the cob
1 large or 2 small grated zucchini
1 spring onion, finely chopped
½ a red capsicum, diced small
½ cup of finely chopped parsley
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp quality fine sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
a generous ½ cup chickpea (besan) flour
Olive oil for frying
1. Place all ingredients except flour into a bowl and mix well until nicely blended.
2. Add chickpea flour and slowly mix through – it will start to become sticky with a binding quality to it.
3. Let the mixture ‘sit’ for 20 mins or so to maximise the sticky texture and then form patties by rolling mixture into a ball and then
flattening with your fingertips.
4. Heat olive oil to fry pan and place patties on medium heat and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
5. Once cooked, place on a paper towel to drain and then serve immediately with a generous side salad and your favourite healthy dipping sauce
like sweet chilli sauce, gourmet pickle or tamarillo chutney – the list goes on
These little patties/fritters make a fantastic easy dinner or lunch with friends. They are also a wonderful dish to bring to a shared gathering or party – they look great laid out on a platter with dipping sauces. You can make them especially small as ‘mini-fritters’ for this purpose. When I do this, they are a hit every time. Enjoy!