This is a date-based raw treat that you can whip up in ten minutes and can keep in the fridge for up to a week. Great to have on hand for the kids to grab a couple for their lunch box or for you to grab when the sweet craving kicks in. I can’t stress enough the importance of having things like this on hand to ensure you stay on track with your eating.
All JasonShonBennett.com recipes are made from 100% plant-based wholefoods. All are animal-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan. They are also gluten-free (except for the occasional recipes containing jumbo rolled oats).
1 cup chopped cooking/baking dates
¼ cup water
2 heaped tsp of cocoa powder/raw cacao
3 heaped tsp quality peanut butter
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1. Put the dates in a saucepan with the water and heat very gently for 5 – 10 minutes until they become sticky and soft. Give them a helping
hand by mashing them a bit with a fork.
2. Add the cocoa, peanut butter, cinnamon and vanilla and heat briefly to activate the flavours (you may need a splash more water). Remove
3. Blend the oats and coconut together in your food processor until they are the consistency of coarse flour.
4. Add this dry mix to the date mixture and combine well, then roll into balls or press into little rustic shapes. You could also press a fork
gently on them and turn them into cookie shapes if desired.
5. Chill for a couple of hours and they are ready to serve.