Obesity in NZ adults cracks 30%
Sadly, and as predicted by me over 5 years ago, we have now hit 30% adult obesity for the first time ever…
“Food is the big factor. There is still huge promotion of junk foods and not a lot to counter it ... We have to be taking the lead - signal that we have a problem ... There’s not even healthy food in many hospitals”
Jim Mann, Professor of Human Nutrition and Medicine, Otago University, December 2013.
The NZ Ministry of Health’s 2012/13 health survey has found that:
- More than 1.1 million adults are now obese
- The adult obesity rate has risen to 31%
- It was 27% in 2006-07
- Over 68% of NZ Pacific adults are obese
- Over 11% of children aged 2-14 years are obese
- That is 85,000 obese kids, right now, in NZ, and growing in size and number every single day
Numbers from the NZ Ministry of Health’s 2012/13 health survey as reported on Monday December 16, 2013 by the New Zealand Herald.