JanOne with a Difference: How to feel amazing over the festive season!
Our fabulous Naturopath Jules here offers some guidance for the period where we all are the most challenged!
With all the wonderful snippets from Team JSB over the last few weeks, we are feeling well prepared and under control for this year’s festive frenzy! We’ve been learning how to avoid overindulging, partying too late, feelings of stress, overcommitting and drinking too much around Christmas time.
Here are some of our top tips on how to feel A.M.A.Z.I.N.G over the festive season.
- Ensure you’re having your green smoothie each morning. Try adding different summer fruits like mango, pineapple, pawpaw and berries to mix it up and make it exciting. I’ve included my favourite Pinacolada smoothie from Tracey below for you.
- Start each day off with your apple cider vinegar to ignite the digestive fire and help balance out the pH of the body system.
- Make sure you fit in some sort of movement each day. The morning is often the best time of the day for this – get up and get moving!
- Have a daily dose of sunshine. There is so much research showing the benefits of vitamin D on mood, immune function, bone health and cardiovascular disease. And it feels so good!
- Try to get into bed by 10pm each night. Go to your Christmas parties and functions early in the evening, so you can leave earlier and maintain healthy sleep patterns.
- Remember Jason’s great tips on alcohol and how to avoid drinking in excess (or any at all).
- Try to avoid caffeine over the festive season – your nervous system is going to be hit hard enough!
- Follow our advice on how not to overindulge from Andrea last week. Remind yourself of how you want to feel on the beach, in that little dress or pair of jeans. Take two deep breaths and ask yourself if you really need it. And of course, allow yourself the odd treat – its Christmas time after all!
- Spend 10 – 15 minutes each day being grateful for what you have in life. Be aware of your expectations and remind yourself of what you ARE achieving, rather than what you are not achieving.
- Make healthy food choices and try to avoid inflammatory food groups like gluten, meat, sugar and dairy where you can. If you have a day of overindulgence in poor food choices, put it behind you, take a deep breath and make extra effort the following day.
- If you are on thelifeplan, or you’ve tried it with us before, make an effort to continue with your Regular Intelligent Fasting in the lead up to Christmas. This will help to reset your taste buds and break any negative cycles or habits you have fallen into with all of the temptation around over the festive season.
- Smile and laugh as often as you can. Sometimes a quiet giggle to yourself can completely transform your mood. Go on – give it a go! J
- Surround yourself with your family and loved ones. The longest living people on earth put great value on the importance of social gatherings, relationships and maintaining a healthy work/life balance. So spend plenty of time enjoying your loved ones!
- 1 cup cut pineapple pieces (or tinned in natural juice is ok too)
- 1 orange
- 500mL coconut water (or 500mL water with 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut)
- ½ a frozen banana – see note below
- At least one cup of chopped spinach leaves
How to make:
Add everything into a high powered blender and blend away! Sprinkle some desiccated coconut on top and add a little slice of pineapple onto the rim of your glass for that bit of extra ‘Amaze’ factor!
X Jules (JSB Naturopath)