Fasting can reverse diabetes mainstream study shows
This kind of research just keeps on coming – eat less and live long indeed…
“It is striking to see how a relatively simple intervention of a very low calorie diet effectively cures type II diabetes mellitus. These effects are long-term, illustrating the potential of this method”
Study author Dr Sebastiaan Hammer of the department of radiology at Leiden University Medical Center.
To test the effect of calorie restriction/fasting, the Dutch researchers enlisted 15 obese men and women with type II diabetes. They were given a thorough physical check for fatty deposits in the heart (as they impair cardiac function).
- The volunteers then followed a 500-calorie-a-day diet for four months.
- After the period, their hearts were re-scanned and they found:
- The volume of pedicardial fat fell significantly
- It fell from 39 milliliters to 31 milliliters
- The ‘E/A ratio’, a common measure of cardiac function, rose from 0.96 to 1.2.
- BMI fat fell from 35.3 to 27.5.
- The benefits of calorie restriction persisted even after the volunteers went back to their usual eating habits and regained weight.
- Every single volunteer was able to discontinue their insulin injections after embarking on calorie restriction.
Study author Dr Sebastiaan Hammer of the department of radiology at Leiden University Medical Center, presented the research in Chicago at the Radiological Society of North America’s annual meeting 2013. As reported by cobsnews.com on November 29, 2011. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/calorie-restriction-cures-diabetes-what-study-says/