American birth rate hits historic low as fertility rates drop
Nobody seems to be concerned that fertility rates are dropping across the Western World. There were less babies born in the US than ever before in 2011.
What is the state of births like now in the USA?
- The general fertility rate - defined as the number of births per 1,000 women ages 15 through 44 - fell to an all-time record low of 63.2 in 2011
- Americans had fewer babies in 2011 than in any year before
- In 2011, 3,953,593 babies were born in the U.S.
- This is 1% lower than 2010
- This is 4% lower than 2009
- This is the lowest rate ever reported for the nation - a crude birth rate of 12.7 per 1,000 people
Study by Hamilton BE, et al “Annual Summary of Vital Statistics: 2010-2011” as published in the March 2013 issue of Pediatrics 2013; 131: 1-11, from research done at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. As reported by MedPage Today on February 11, 2013.