Diabetes biggest killer in India heading towards 100 million
India is about to hit 100 million diabetics in a country that not long ago did not have a diabetes problem at all.
What has changed? The diet.
An Indian National Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) meeting released these figures on June 7, 2013:
- India had 50.8 million diabetics in 2011
- India had 61 million diabetics in 2012
- This is a 12% increase in the number of diabetes cases IN ONE YEAR
- In 2012, diabetes is now the #1 cause of death
- 9.2% of Indian adults now have diabetes
- This is second only to China at 10%
I wonder when people will think this is a big enough problem.
A Confederation of Indian industry ‘National White Paper on Insights from Multi Stakeholder Consultation- Management and Care of Diabetes in India’ was released at the 2013 summit. As reported by the Press Trust of India on June 7, 2013.