Diabetes drug maker being sued for the death it has caused Australians

Diabetes drug maker being sued for the death it has caused Australians

Yet another drug company getting sued for not fully disclosing the deadly side effects of a drug it made billions from.  How do these people look in the mirror or sleep?

Law firm Maurice Blackburn said it would join a class action against Takeda and Eli Lilly, the co-manufacturers and distributors of the drug.  Maurice Blackburn Principal Damian Scattini said the companies had behaved “Terribly.  They knew before they even released the drug that it had a tendency to induce tumours in rats but they proceeded irrespective of that.  The science is terrible for the defendant and what they did is terrible”

The Disgraceful Bottom Line

  • There have been more than 1.7 million Australian prescriptions for Actos in the past four years
  • Actos has been linked to a 40% increased risk of bladder cancer after patients have been taking it for between one and two years
  • Consumers in France and Germany were no longer exposed to the drug as it had been taken off the market
  • In America a black-box warning said long-term use was linked to bladder cancer
  • In Australia and New Zealand the drug was still available and did not have the same full bladder cancer warnings

As reported by The Sydney Morning Herald on May 20, 2013.


 

Posted: Thursday 30 May 2013

Comments