Baby boomers not as healthy as their parents
I have presented seminars on this topic for years trying to educate people that they are not the healthiest generation ever but actually the sickest in history.
“Despite their longer life expectancy over previous generations, U.S. baby boomers have higher rates of chronic disease, more disability, and lower self-rated health than members of the previous generation at the same age”
Dana King, MD, of West Virginia University in Morgantown.
The analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) study examined the health status of aging U.S. baby boomers (born 1946-1964) compared to the previous generation, and found:
- Baby boomers have 30% higher rates of obesity
- Baby boomers have 46% more diabetes
- Baby boomers have 38% more hypertension
- Baby boomers have 5.9-fold more hypercholesterolemia
- Baby boomers face more health problems in middle age
- Baby boomers reported 50% less “excellent health” status
- 7% of Baby boomers versus 3% used a walking assist device
- 14% versus 10% were limited in work
- 14% versus 9% had a functional limitation
- Demographics were similar between the groups
- 35% of baby boomers took regular exercise vs. 50%
Study by King DE, et al “The status of baby boomers’ health in the United States: The healthiest generation?” as published in JAMA Internal Medicine 2013; DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.2006. The analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) found… This analysis was part-funded by the National Institutes of Health. As reported by MedPage Today on February 04, 2013.