Diabetes cases hit 377 million with 187 million undiagnosed in 2012
The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) released the latest diabetes numbers on Wednesday November 14, 2012.
The numbers are higher than at any other time in history.
The lowlights of the report as follows:
- The number of people living with diabetes is now put at 371 million, up from 366 million a year ago
- Diabetes is expected to reach 552 million by 2030
- The disease is also spreading rapidly in poorer countries
- China alone has 92.3 million people with diabetes, more than any other nation in the world
- The IDF estimates that, globally, 187 million people do not yet know they are suffering from the condition
- For the international drugmakers, diabetes offers riches, with global sales of diabetes medicines expected to reach $48-$53 billion by 2016, up from $39.2 billion in 2011, according to research firm IMS Health
As reported by Reuters on November 14, 2012.