Probiotics key in preventing and reversing obesity
I talk about the importance of gut health all the time. What do we now eat? Cooked foods. What are the only foods that contain living digestive enzymes and prebiotics – to feed our healthy probiotic bacterial populations?
Raw, sprouted and fermented foods.
What do we know?
- Microbiota (gut flora, microbiome, healthy bacteria etc) in lean healthy people is different from that of unwell or obese people
- Healthy people have a higher proportion of Bacteroidetes
- A European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010 study found the probiotic Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055 helped lower abdominal fat and body weight
- A Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, July 2009 found greater weight loss among those with higher lactobacillus acidophilus probiotics
- Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, 2010 and Obesity Research and Clinical Practice, 2008 found that probiotics helped weight loss
What are the probiotic rich superfoods that best transform our gut?
High-fibre plant foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, wholegrains and legumes.
As reported by the editors of Environmental Nutrition Newsletter, Premium Health News Service on October 10, 2012.