Heart disease lowered by 20% through a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
A recent World Health Organization (WHO) report showed that just eating fruits and vegetables every day can reduce your risk of developing heart disease by 20%.
What else did the report say?
- Death rates from heart disease are TWICE AS HIGH among people who eat diets high in saturated fat, trans fats and salty junk foods
- The 4 major causes of cardiovascular disease are smoking, physical inactivity, unhealthy diet and alcohol
- More people around the world die from cardiovascular diseases than any other causes
- These diseases were responsible for 17.3 million deaths in 2008, representing 30% of all global deaths
- If the current rising trend continues, by 2030 almost 23.6 million people will die - every year - from mostly-preventable cardiovascular diseases
WHO released the report on Wednesday 4 July, 2012 as reported by New York Daily News on July 5, 2012.