Sugar Babies killing the future
A study published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine found that medications don’t work and general lifestyle instruction isn’t much help either to treat Type II diabetes in children. Dr. Mark Hyman has written a stunner of an article about the next generation of children and the early deaths they are heading for. And he lists his solutions.
Some highlights/lowlights as follows:
- There has been a more than 1,000% increase in Type II diabetes in children over the last two decades.
- Fifteen years ago 3% of new cases of diabetes in children were Type 2 diabetes. Now it is 50%.
- There has been a more than 50% increase in strokes in children aged 5 to 14.
- We are now seeing heart attacks in teenagers and 20 year olds needing cardiac bypass surgery because obesity and diabetes clogs their arteries.
- The food industry tries to convince us that all calories are the same, that a snack of carrots or Oreos is the same as long as they are 100 calories each. The science proves otherwise. Sugar calories act differently in the body, driving biology toward diabetes. And carrots aren't addictive, but sugar is.
- I met a pediatric gastroenterologist and wondered what he was doing at a conference on diabetes. He told me he now has 5-year-old patients with cirrhosis from fatty liver caused by years of drinking soda.
See the full article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/sugar-consumption_b_1477658.html